Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Brave? No, cheap!

I saw my hairdresser today. I stopped dying my hair in May (meaning I stopped covering up my naturally grey hair), and had it cut very, very short. I suppose it did take some courage, but honestly, the every three week maintenance became an expense I no longer wanted. A haircut once every six weeks is much more convenient and affordable.

At the salon, a woman walked past me and said she wished she was so brave, and my hairdresser and I laughed. When I told my hairdresser that about 98 of every 100 people I see ask me why I decided to dye my hair "blonde," she said, "I wish you had blogged about this whole episode of your life." Then we debated why so many people are convinced I dyed my hair blonde, had some more laughs, and tearfully admitted we both do miss the every three weeks visits, but this is good, too.

Meanwhile, I'm seeing the whole "blonde" thing as funny, and I'm going to find out if it is true that blondes have more fun. We'll see if I blog about that...grin.

2 comments:

  1. A post! Every now and then I stop by to see if you have something to say... and this time, you did!

    I found about ten gray hairs on vacation. One of the hotel bathrooms was particularly cruel (I think my own bathroom lights are sweet liars). I started wondering if I'll dye my hair. I might. But there is some part of me that wants to not only accept the aging process, but embrace it. Redefine beauty, make it ageless.

    How brave am I?

    (You'll have to update your picture!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of these days I will stop dying my hair. It is quite funny what you say about people thinking you'd dyed your hair blonde. This is similar to my decision to stop straightening my hair after more than a decade! I did not realize how curly it had gotten, and it is CURLY. Many of my students think I got a perm. :|

    I straighten them out if I hear it.

    ReplyDelete